Savannah here we come…
We are opening a second store in Savannah’s Downtown Historic District right across the street from Paula Deen’s Lady and Sons restaurant! You heard it here first. We have tried to keep it under raps for a while, but there’s no hiding it now. Woo-hoo!
This is something we have dreamed of since we sold our first Cupcake. We’ve been searching for over a year to find the right spot. The time is right and a couple of months ago the perfect location came up. We pounced on it. It’s a great building, in a great location right in the center of the Downtown Historic District. We are surrounded by landmark business establishments, and right on the corner of Whitaker and Congress. We knew immediately we had found Sweet Carolina’s second home.
Our new Home
After some deliberations and lease wrangling we signed a 5 year lease on a great new space and began converting it into a Cupcake Bakery. We are currently doing a little construction—actually a lot of construction. The location had formerly been an office space for local Realtors (and my awesome landlords!) Mopper-Stapen Realtors. So we have to convert it from an office into a bakery This is no small task. Plumbing, electrical, HVAC system, service entrance, framing walls and doors. The list seems almost endless. We’re doing a full retrofit to make this place into a bakery. Last week the demolition was complete and now construction has begun in earnest.
With the new shop we will also be expanding our scope beyond just baking and selling great Cupcakes.
- Parties. First, we are building an awesome Party Room where you can throw one heck of a bridal shower, shin-dig, hoe-down, fiesta or any other type of gathering. You name it. We’ll cater it.
- Classes. Next, we will be teaching classes. Cake Decorating. Cupcakes 101. How to make the perfect frosting. Even some kids classes! We’re gonna show you it all. Sign up, show up and learn.
- Coffee. At present we are working with our friend Phillip Brown, at PERC Coffee, to design and install Savannah’s first drip-to-order brew bar. Pick a variety of bean, a grind and we will make you the best Cup of Joe you’ve ever had. One cup at a time.
- Vending Bike. This is a big one: We will be operating a Cupcake Bike. Think Ice Cream Man of the olden days, but we sell Cupcakes. We are going to circle the central city selling cupcakes from a large vending bike, jingling our bells and smiling all the way!
- Social Hub. Music, Art, Spoken Word. Do you have an Uncle who can play the Accordion? Great! All this and more will be featured. We will stay open late and have live performances on the weekends. Come in. Hang out. Enjoy!
We’re so excited about all this that it has been really hard to keep it a secret. ( I’m practically giggling while I type…)Actually several people have gotten a sneak preview since we’ve needed help with a few things here and there. So, now the cat is out of the bag, you will be hearing more and more about this. We are going to be publishing regular construction updates and more info as we go.
Everyone can become an investor in our project
This is a large undertaking. We can’t do it alone. As a result we will be launching a crowdfunding project through Kickstarter so that everyone can become an investor in our project. Yes, you too can invest in a little bit of Sweet Carolina Cupcakes. We’ll follow up with a post on how you can be involved shortly. If you haven’t heard of Kickstarter, check it out. It’s pretty neat.
That’s it for now, back to baking the Cupcakes that you all love…
Stay tuned for more updates.